Special Collection: The Works of Walter R. Brooks (1886-1958)
Walter Rollin Brooks (January 9, 1886 - August 17, 1958)
is an author best know for his children's books about Freddy The Pig.
Possibly the world's most famous pig, Freddy is the central character
is all the books, where he can seemingly take on any vocation.
Brooks also created a set of short stories about a talking horse,
which became the basis for the television show Mister Ed.
The Freddy books were illustrated by Kurt Wiese (1887-1974).
Unfortunately, we are unable to bring you the many illustrations
found in these books, as they are still under copyright.
However, the books can be found in many libraries, and are still in
print by The Overlook Press.
Information on Walter Brooks:
Unmarked works which are hyperlinked are available on Faded Page.
Works marked with a * are currently under development at Distributed Proofreaders Canada
and will be made available over the next few months.
Book lists complements of Wikipedia.
Freddy the Pig Series
These are all 26 titles in the Freddy the Pig series.
Five were originally published with other titles, in parentheses.
- Freddy Goes to Florida, 1927 (To and Again), re-issued as both Freddy Goes to Florida and Freddy's First Adventure in 1949
- Freddy Goes to the North Pole, 1930 (More To and Again)
- Freddy the Detective, 1932
- Freddy and Freginald, 1936 (The Story of Freginald)
- Freddy and the Clockwork Twin, 1937 (The Clockwork Twin)
- Freddy the Politician, 1939 (Wiggins for President)
- Freddy's Cousin Weedly, 1940
- Freddy and the Ignormus, 1941
- Freddy and the Perilous Adventure, 1942
- Freddy and the Bean Home News, 1943
- Freddy and Mr. Camphor, 1944
- Freddy and the Popinjay, 1945
- Freddy the Pied Piper, 1946
- Freddy the Magician, 1947
- Freddy Goes Camping, 1948
- Freddy Plays Football, 1949
- Freddy the Cowboy, 1950
- Freddy Rides Again, 1951
- Freddy the Pilot, 1952
- Freddy and the Spaceship, 1953
- The Collected Poems of Freddy the Pig, 1953
- Freddy and the Men from Mars, 1954
- Freddy and the Baseball Team From Mars, 1955
- Freddy and Simon the Dictator, 1956
- Freddy and the Flying Saucer Plans, 1957
- Freddy and the Dragon, 1958
- The Talking Horse: September 18, 1937 edition of Liberty Magazine.
- The Original Mr. Ed (1963): collection of Mr. Ed stories
- Ernestine Takes Over (1935)